In July 2014 the 8th World Choir Games takes place in Riga, Latvia. Forty-four talented young people have the opportunity to represent Barnsley Youth Choir, our town and Great Britain at this prestigious event.
Members of the choir are working hard to raise the £25,000 needed to cover the cost of their trip. In particular, they are hosting a gala dinner to help raise money towards this goal.
It takes place on Friday 16th May, from 7pm at the Dodworth Holiday Inn.
Some of the young people from the choir will be performing on the night, which includes a three-course meal, followed by entertainment and dancing.
I will also be hosting a fundraising auction during the evening and am pleased to announce some fantastic lots donated by local people:
- 1 pair of tickets for any dates on Ed Sheeran’s autumn tour, with a backstage meet and greet.
- 'Spend a morning with The Dose' - bring yourself and 3 friends to see Capital FM's Hirsty's Daily Dose broadcast live from their brand new state of the art studios in Leeds. Join Simon Hirst, Danny Oakes & JoJo as they entertain the whole of Yorkshire on their breakfast show in Leeds (must be over 15 years of age).
- A backstage tour of the Royal Ballet in Covent Garden, with the Artistic Administrator, Philip Mosley – the man who inspired the Billy Elliot story! – and the chance to watch a performance from the wings.
- A cricket bat signed by Dickie Bird and Geoffrey Boycott.
- A Real Madrid shirt signed by Michael Owen.
- A shirt (England or Newcastle) to be signed by Alan Shearer, with a personalised message for the successful bidder.
- A Corporate Box for 10 people for a home fixture at Barnsley FC in the 2014/15 season.
- A football signed by Mick McCarthy and the team at Ipswich Town.
- A signed print of a piece of artwork of Dickie created by fellow cricketer and artist Ken Taylor.
- A tour of Barnsley FC's Oakwell stadium before lunch with the Directors and seats to watch a home game for 2 people in the Directors’ Box.
And the raffle includes the following prizes:
- A luxury lunch for two at Pollyanna’s.
- A family ticket to Cannon Hall Farm.
- A hamper of ASOS goodies.
- A pair of hair straighteners and hair products (worth approximately £100) from Russell Eaton.
- 2 tickets to see Grimethorpe Brass band at Elsecar Heritage Centre on Thursday 6th November, including interval drinks.
- A goodie pack of ladies' accessories, including handbag and jewellery.
- A signed novel by Lynda Bellingham.
- Books about Barnsley by Mel Dyke.
- A football signed by the Barnsley FC team.
- Chocolates from Barnsley author, Milly Johnson.
- Garden centre vouchers.
- Dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine at Zest Restaurant at Barnsley College.
- A year’s pass to Wigfield Farm.
- A £20 voucher for Images Salon at Barnsley College.
- A voucher for a cut and blow dry at Leslie Francis hairdressers.
- A family ticket for the panto at the Lamproom Theatre.
If you or your company would like to purchase tickets for this event, please contact the Barnsley Youth Choir’s Chairperson, Ann Wroe on 07967043362 or email [email protected].
If you can offer a donation for the auction lots, please contact my Barnsley office.
This is a fantastic opportunity for Barnsley Youth Choir and reflects the huge progress these young people have made since it was formed five years ago. The Choir is run by extremely hard-working volunteers and, at any one time, 200 children and young people aged 7 to 19 benefit from the experience of being part of this special group.
I know you will want to support the young people of our town by helping them to take part in this world-class event. The Choir is already working hard to raise the money needed through a variety of concerts and sponsored activities. I hope you will want to help them in their challenge.
We anticipate a high demand and tickets for this event are limited. Please contact Ann Wroe as soon as possible to secure a table.