Individual issues

The first thing to check is that you are one of my constituents. You can do this by entering your postcode here

Issues I can help with

I am able to help constituents with the following issues:

I can support constituents by:

  • Writing to the Minister with responsibility for the department concerned
  • Asking an official for an explanation of why a decision has been made
  • Asking for a decision to be reviewed

So that I can help, you will need to:

  • Provide your full name.
  • Provide your full postal address including post code.
  • Provide a contact telephone number and an email address if you have one.
  • Provide your national insurance number.
  • Enclose copies of any supporting documents (please do not enclose originals).

I will contact you to let you know what action I have taken and to advise you of the outcome of my enquiries. If you continue to be unhappy with a decision or issues raised, you may be able to refer your case to the relevant Ombudsman. I will include information on any further action you can take when I contact you.

Help with council issues

Issues relating to services provided by the Local Authority, Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council need to be raised with the relevant council department or your local councillor in the first instance.   

This includes:

  • Housing and council tax
  • Anti-social behaviour
  • Highways and roads
  • Planning
  • Bins and littering
  • School placements
  • Adults' and children’s social services

You can find out who your councillor is by entering your post code here.

You can find out more about council services here

Further sources of advice

Anti-social behaviour:

Contact the police non-emergency 101 number.

Or BMBC’s Community Safety & Enforcement Team which can be emailed at: [email protected]

Benefits advice:             

Welfare Rights Advice Line. Call 01226 772360 or see their website here.

Debt advice:

National Debtline. Call 0808 808 4000 or see their website here.

Disability rights and benefits:

DIAL. Call 01226 240273 or see their website here.

Employment rights:

ACAS. Call 0300 1231100 or see their website here.

Foreign travel advice:

Foreign and Commonwealth Office. See their website here.

General advice on most issues:

Citizens' Advice. Call 03444 111 444 or see their website here.

Legal issues:

I am unable to intervene in legal matters and urge you to contact a solicitor if you need legal advice. The Citizens' Advice hold a list of local solicitors firms who offer a free initial 30-minute consultation.

Want to know more about my work? Sign up here.


Sign up for updates from Dan Jarvis